06 February 2009

playlist selections

although i'm not scheduled to leave until, well, monday-ish, i seem to keep thinking of things i want to share with the world (see previous post inspired by h&m online shopping). today while driving to salisbury i felt inspired to spread this tidbit a little farther--

mother mother, just about my favorite thing to ever come out of canada, will be supplying much of my musical entertainment on the trip. their wacky and tightly constructed first album, touch up, fell into my hands as a sophomore working at wvau. i was in love. it featurs songs about spying on neighbors, maintaining masculinity while cross dressing, and moving to the country:
"I choppin' firewood choppin' firewood (Chop! chop! chop!)
Just like a country boy should be chopping wood (I country)
My kindling sticks are the perfect little width (Kindling sticks)
Get gone from a dirty town"
this past fall they released their second cd jam packed with the kind of hits that creep into the back of your brain and wait for several days until they gradually turn themselves up; then you're left wondering...what is that song?
and so it's no surprise that once i settle myself in to drive, this is what i want to hear-- especially this single, Hay Loft, which will have you singing "My daddy's got a gun, g-g-g-g-gun!!"
enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Yaaay, this makes me happy. Because Canadian indie is definitely my favorite genre (maybe tied with Québécois Néo-trad)! Wonderful things come out of Canada (including 1/8 of me).

    ReplyDelete